Fullness of Joy
This past weekend I experienced one of those rare moments in my life; a moment that can only be described as the “fullness of joy”. I have only felt this euphoria maybe twice in my lifetime and that’s probably more than most people. It was a brief moment of time where all fears and cares of the world fade to nothing and I feel completely at peace.
It’s hard to put on paper this experience. It was as if time stopped, the noise around me ceased, all thoughts left my head, and I was totally satisfied in body, mind, and spirit. I assumed immediately it was a gift from God and actually closed my eyes to say thank you. Instead of thank you, the first thought was “Lord, I am completely happy at this perfect moment, take me home right now.”
As I stood in my kitchen thinking such a thought and surrounded by laughter, food, and family, just as quickly as it came, the feeling left and my regular thoughts returned. All the busyness that usually accompanies such family times as Thanksgiving started back up. Did everyone get enough to eat? Who is watching the grand kids? Is it time to serve pumpkin pie? Do we have enough forks? (ya-da, ya-da, ya-da)
I wanted to keep this moment forever but knew I could not. I thanked the Lord in my head for giving me this precious gift of joy. Now my prayer is for each of you who will read this blog that you too feel that moment that can only be described as the Psalmist described it “the fullness of Joy” (Ps 16:11).
It’s hard to put on paper this experience. It was as if time stopped, the noise around me ceased, all thoughts left my head, and I was totally satisfied in body, mind, and spirit. I assumed immediately it was a gift from God and actually closed my eyes to say thank you. Instead of thank you, the first thought was “Lord, I am completely happy at this perfect moment, take me home right now.”
As I stood in my kitchen thinking such a thought and surrounded by laughter, food, and family, just as quickly as it came, the feeling left and my regular thoughts returned. All the busyness that usually accompanies such family times as Thanksgiving started back up. Did everyone get enough to eat? Who is watching the grand kids? Is it time to serve pumpkin pie? Do we have enough forks? (ya-da, ya-da, ya-da)
I wanted to keep this moment forever but knew I could not. I thanked the Lord in my head for giving me this precious gift of joy. Now my prayer is for each of you who will read this blog that you too feel that moment that can only be described as the Psalmist described it “the fullness of Joy” (Ps 16:11).
Comments