Cancer Walk 4 - My Hair Hurts
I told the nurse at the cancer center where I am receiving chemotherapy treatments that when I lay my head on the pillow at night my hair hurts. She said that was normal because the hair follicles were dying.
When I first started this process, the first question I asked was, “Will I lose my hair.” I was hoping there was some statistics that would be encouraging, maybe not everyone loses their hair, but no they simple said, “Yes, you will lose your hair.” Then when I asked how soon this will occur they said within one week of the first treatment.
However, after two weeks I thought I had beaten the odds. I had already prepared for the worst by cutting my hair to match the wig I bought. Then I woke one morning to a pillow full of hair and realized it was happening.
God makes a statement that seems like a promise in Matthew 10:30 it says, “The very hairs of your head are numbered.” When you are going through the loss of your hair this statement brings hope and joy knowing that you are not alone, that Jesus is beside you and knows the number of hairs left on your head.
Recently in a Beth Moore study she made reference to this scripture and put forth the thought that the scripture is not saying He knows how many of your hairs there are, but that He numbered them. God cares about us so much, we are so important to him that he numbered each hair on our head.
Any scientist can count your hairs but God numbers them. So now when I wake up and find hair on my pillow I can hear God say, “That’s number 6, 39, 214, but don’t worry number 20, 440, 208, and others are still there. I’m watching out for you, even when every one is gone. Then I will bless you with new ones!”
God never promised I wouldn’t battle sickness but he did provide for my healing:
I Peter 2:24 “Who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, the we, having died to sins, might live to righteousness - by whose stripes you WERE healed.”
God never promised I wouldn’t be in pain, or lose my hair, or feel weak or depressed but He did give 66 books full of promises including:
Philippians 4:11 and 13 “Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content…I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
Habakkuk 3:19 (Amplified) “The Lord is my strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hind feet and will make me to walk (not stand still in terror, but to walk) and make (spiritual) progress upon my high places (of trouble, suffering, or responsibility).”
God’s promises show His love and care for us, they are sure and amen, you can rely on them even when your hair is falling out.
-D
Comments