I want to go where you are
“I want to go where you are,” she said and I knew she meant she wanted to go home with me. My first thought was, “This is a result of the children calling me Jaaja (African for grandmother). They now think I am their grandmother and I’m here to take care of them.” I had spent the entire week at the ‘Children’s Healing Camp’ in Kampala, Uganda working with the Friend of TOUCH Ministry. I had a small group of children, 6 in all, and she was NOT one of them. In fact I never met her before and yet she had the courage to come up to me, a stranger, and ask me to take her home. I wondered how bad her life was that she was willing to place her hope and trust in a total stranger rather than her own family. Reluctantly I had to explain to her that I could not take her home (though I wanted to). She looked downcast as she turned to walk away. There’s always one more child to help; one more that needs Jaaja’s love. I keep reaching for them with my heart first and then what ever resources I ca...
Comments